English | 2008 | ISBN: 1554074193 | 208 pages | PDF | 29,38 Mb
The astonishing story of a baby's first two years.
Renowned zoologist and scholar of human behavior Desmond Morris (The Naked Ape) reveals a baby's incredible powers of development and extraordinary growth patterns.
Through informed text and stunning photographs and artworks, this insightful reference surveys the biology, physics, chemistry and other forces which drive the rapid changes that occur in a baby's body every day.
Amazing Baby is a discovery tour through a baby's first two years. The story progresses from the moment of conception through each phase of development in the womb and beyond as the baby is born and matures into a talking, walking individual with a unique personality. Chapters are organized by both stage and type of growth.
The book features 250 large and beautiful color photographs and illustrations in an innovative layout that invites both browsing and study. Full-color tracing paper overlays illustrate the many intricacies of infant anatomy. Throughout the book, retrospective glimpses of life in the womb remind the reader of the profound influence of those first nine months.
This beautiful visual reference is designed to appeal to anyone -- especially parents -- interested in how the human body evolves and works. It is also an ideal book to use with siblings of a new baby.
The contents include:
* In the womb: the miracle of life; how baby develops; what baby feels, sees, hears and senses
* Growing: muscles and bones, hormones, sustenance, sleep and dreams
* Staying healthy: powers of self-preservation, reflexes, immune system, hormones, self-repair
* Movement: mastering movement- holding the head, rolling, sitting, crawling, walking
* Communication: hard-wired crying, babbling, speaking, listening, body movement
* Learning: intelligence, awareness and understanding, exploring
* Emotions: personality, experiences, bonding, relationships
* Becoming independent: why humans take so long do so -- longer than any other mammal.
Some of the fascinating facts in Amazing Baby:
* Babies cannot distinguish between night and day until they are about ten weeks. Instead, they rely on their stomachs to regulate their day.
* Within a few days of birth, a baby can distinguish between the touch of brush bristles that are of different diameters.
* Within 45 hours of birth, a newborn knows his/her own mother by her smell.
* Babies have about 10,000 taste buds, far more than adults do. These are not just on the tongue but on the side, back and roof of the mouth as well.
101 Ways to Have Fun: Things You Can Do with Friends, Anytime!
Understanding Autism: From Basic Neuroscience to Treatment
In Search Of Parenthood: Coping with Infertility and High-Tech Conception
Voices from the Spectrum: Parents, Grandparents, Siblings, People With Autism, And Professionals Sha
Early Intervention Games
The Last Act of Love: The Story of My Brother and His Sister
Tell My Sons: A Father's Last Letters
Assisted Suicide (Hot Topics)
The Baby Owner's Manual: Operating Instructions, Trouble-Shooting Tips, and Advice on First-Year Mai
This site does not store any files on its server. We only index and link to content provided by other sites. Please contact the content providers to delete copyright contents if any and email us, we'll remove relevant links or contents immediately.
People Games: The Ten Most Common Mind Gam(2207)
The Guidebook to Happiness: Learn the Spec(1629)
Parent Hacks: 134 Genius Shortcuts for Lif(1512)
The Secret Lives of Wives: Women Share Wha(1445)
Smart Strengths: Building Character, Resil(1282)
Mama's Little Book of Tricks(1163)
Gardening Lab for Kids: 52 Fun Experiments(1095)
50 Evening Adventures: After School - Afte(1055)
1000 Plus Household Hints(1028)
Sh*tty Mom for All Seasons: [email protected] It(1021)
Family Photographs and How to Date Them(1006)
The Confident Child: Raising Children to B(970)
The Importance of Being Little: What Presc(964)
Raising Happiness: 10 Simple Steps for Mor(871)
Family Photo Detective: Learn How to Find (850)